There is no doubt that having limited amount of shut eye at night can actually lead to a number of health problems. But did you know that oversleeping can actually pose serious threats to your health, too?
So how much amount of sleep do you actually need? The requirement of sleep is mostly dependent on the age of the person, but it also varies from one person to the other. Added to that, aging, pregnancy, sleep quality and sleep deprivation also impact your sleep.
If you get too little sleep it is best to consult with your sleep doctor regarding how you can avoid your sleep debt in the long run. But if you are sleeping too much then also you should not ignore it and consult with your doctor.
Getting too much sleep can be a sign of several medical issues. Having excessive snoozing time can be linked with different types of medical issues.
But before delving deeper, you should first understand what excessive sleep is! Just take a look.
Are You Sleeping Too Much?
So first you must understand what oversleeping means! The median benchmark of normal or the ideal kind of sleep is 8 hours. Experts are of the opinion that somewhere between 7-9 hours of sleep is considered to be healthy and is ideal for adults between the age of 18-64 years.
While the new-born and the infants can sleep from 12-15 under ideal circumstances, the adults and the seniors should sleep between 7-9 hours.
Research reveals that 2 percent people are already over-sleepers from childhood. But the long sleeps can also be associated with treatable factors and health issues.
Now let us consider the major causes of oversleeping. Just read on.
- Not Getting Enough Snoozing – If you don’t get sufficient amount of sleep during night, it will be quite difficult for you to get up in the morning. Not getting enough Zzzz hours or the poor quality of sleep or an abnormal craving for sleep can all lead to a lack of sleep. If you don’t get optimum amount of sleeping hours, you won’t be able to pay off your sleep debt and hence must sleep for greater number of hours. But sleeping to make up for the lost hours is not oversleeping though apparently it may seem so. Teenagers while going through the puberty need more sleep. So it may seem that they are oversleeping but actually they are not. But if you sleep more than 10 hours as a teenager or over 9 hours as an adult, it is true that you are oversleeping.
- Opting for Substance Abuse – The use of certain substances like prescription drugs like that of caffeine and prescription drugs can also lead to oversleeping. Research says that you may feel quite exhausted and extend your sleeping hours when you use those. You should talk to the doctor if you are on a prescription drug that makes you feel tired throughout the day or makes you oversleep. You should consult with your doctor about switching to a new medication that will help you to come out of this situation. You should not drink before retiring to bed. Also just try to alternate 1 drink with a bottle of water.
- Being Fatigued or Tired – Most of the people experience fatigue because of the problems in sleeping. You will feel most likely the effects of lack of sleep if your time in bed is disturbed. When the sleep debt starts accruing, you should start to look for the start of the sleep issues and work towards getting rid of them. The deprivation of sleep can lead to many problems as your body is not restored or energised for the following day.
- Insomnia – Trouble falling asleep at night or problem staying asleep can be quite annoying and can affect your circadian cycle. Not treating insomnia if you are suffering from it can lead to the negative effects in the long-term. You can easily find yourself to be oversleeping for making up for your lost sleep. You may be recommended medications, if you have sleep apnea and fail to get a good night sleep.
- Having a Poor Mindset – This is one of the greatest reasons that makes you want to stay in bed rather than getting up. You need to give yourself a really good reason to get out of bed and when you are depressed or anxious you may not want to do so. A poor mindset can be caused by
- Lack of Motivation
If you suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD, you may find waking up in the morning when it is still dark outside especially tough.
The above are some of the causes of long sleep duration or oversleeping. Apart from the above, there are some very serious ailments like sleep apnea, for which the patient has to use oral sleep appliances, that can keep you awake through the night leading to your oversleeping during the day.
If you are oversleeping continuously, do not take it lightly and try to consult with a doctor in